Thursday, October 18, 2007

Trick or Treat

Reading Jess’s blog about costumes set me to thinking…I hate Halloween. I have for as long as I can remember. Even as a kid. For a variety of reasons, here are only a few. One, why do we celebrate an evil saint’s day? Seems like Devil worship. Two, the house we lived in for 20 odd years was on the widest best lit street in town. Hence we had about 350 trick or treat-ers ringing the doorbell all night long. Three, our dog went berserk with each ring….not fun! Four, did I mention how much money was spent in candy we had to give out. (After many candy tampering scares we gave out pencils and even cash just because I didn’t want to inadvertently give out bad candy.) Five, I also have a problem with kids getting so much candy. It’s bad for their teeth, makes them hyper and usually sick. I never let my daughter trick or treat as a kid, except for going to a couple of neighbors and grandparents but that was all. Of course, as a child always loves the forbidden—
Halloween is her favorite holiday and she goes all out! Decorating the whole house, dressing up, throwing parties…(Go figure)

One thing I love about where I live now…we only get a few kids for trick or treat, my nephew and his buddies and a couple of Shannon’s friends with their kids. Gotta love dark alleys!

3 comments:

Jess said...

What's wrong with devil worship?

Ryan said...

I thought the Grinch stole chrimmus, not halloween.

Anonymous said...

You should have come to our neighborhood when you were a kid. We always had homemade costumes (last minute), and went out as a big group. If I'd known, we'd have invited you! It was so much fun tromping through the woods, the leaves, and seeing the inside of peoples' homes we'd never been to before. It was a whole sensory thing. We loved using the flashlight on the dark road. I guess one of our parents came with us, or maybe it was one older sister. We didn't get much loot, but when we hit those big 3 cent chocolate Lunch Bars (?), we thought it was the greatest! It used to be one of my favorite times because I could be anyone I wanted to be and no one would know me! As I got older, I have to admit, the event lost it's punch, but I have some pretty great early memories! Happy Halloween! Boooooo! (Wi.)