Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Last Supper

I was visiting a friend of my mother-in-laws at the hospital tonight who is dying of brain cancer. She is 80, a wonderful woman, her two sons and husband have preceded her in death, and all she wants now is to be with them. Her attitude is so good. She has had other complications though and she was hurting tonight. She can’t eat anything, literally, so she was preoccupied thinking of food. She was talking about her favorite foods that her mother used to make. To keep her mind off the pain we played the game ‘what would I eat if this was our last meal’…Her is what she wanted, pea soup, cod fish with white gravy, lefsa, coffee, bean & ham soup, beef roast and pork roast (cooked together) with gravy, homemade bread, coffee, cheese, homemade carmel rolls, coffee and a martini with olives. (You will be happy to know that the doctor was letting her have a cup of coffee tonight!)

This got me thinking what would I like—wine, my Mother’s Boiled Dinner, Rafferty’s Pizza, a cold Mich Golden Light with salt, chips & salsa with a Margarita, more wine, Publix rye bread toasted with butter, coffee, lobster with butter, Agate Lake fish-fried, my spaghetti, bean soup, green beans with ham, turkey, (only the crisp skin), broasted chicken wings, hot buffalo wings with blue cheese, wine…rhubarb cake, ice cream, apple pie, real root beer float, pumpkin bars and hopefully sometime in there I would just go to sleep…forever. If only it could be that way for every one and we could all be turning 100.
Lois…I pray you will go this way!

No comments: