Friday, October 19, 2007

Stop reading those Romanicals!

Our dog, Angel, likes to sit on her daddy’s lap. When John is sitting down--I am chopped liver she won’t jump on my lap unless I bribe her with a treat…except when I am knitting! Then she loves me oh so much, wants my lap, and wants to be right there on top of the yarn. She is just like a kid—she wants your attention whenever she knows she doesn’t have it.

Shannon used to do the same thing. When she was little, (about 2 1/2 or 3) if I would sit down to relax and pick up a book, (Romance Novels in those days) within minutes she would come up to me with these really sad little eyes and say, “Mommy stop reading those romanicals.” I can still hear that little voice as if it was yesterday, guilt stays with you a long time.

I guess a mother just can't win, if she is doing something for herself someone wants her to stop.

2 comments:

Agate Lake Girl said...

I hear Rio "say" that to me every night. When I am reading in bed, she comes up, smushes in between me and the book and licks my face to say: okay... stop now, it's time for bed!

Jess said...

Scooter will so far as to sit or lay on Jerry's book since Jerry always read laying on his stomach with the book open before him.

But Scooter seems especially needy when I'm on the phone with someone. That's the moment he finds the loudest, squeakiest toy around and starts squeaking it right in my face so I can't hear who's on the phone.

My mother says that kids have a knack for doing something remarkably similiar.