Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Finally something interesting to write about. Today was my Mammogram...of course they were running about an hour and twenty minutes late. This old lady kept bitching that she had another appointment at 11:45 and her appt. was at 10:00 and why couldn't they just get her in. She kept saying "Damn it-just get me in!" A few minutes later the power went out. And I mean out. A loud pop and then nothing but a bit of generator lights in the hall. Then the lady yells out "hey girl get in here." One tech came and asked if we were alright. She says, " the TV is out, turn it on." We all explain the power is out. To which she says," F-it turn on the TV I was watching something." Again we explain about the power...we are after all sitting in the pitch dark...and TV's don't work with out electricity. She still doesn't get it.
She wants her turn so she can get to her next appt. The nurse says that the machine doesn't work without power and a several block area has no power. The woman starts swearing and says, "at least turn on the TV you little twit!"
I decided to bail as I figured it would be hours before they were up and running. The last thing I heard as I was leaving was the most disturbing, I heard the old woman say, "I am going to have to go get my car now or I won't make my other appt."
(She was driving! Oh shit, I got out of the lot quick!)

The other funny thing was this other old lady who was already in her hospital gown, open in the back, and she walked out the front waiting room as it was cooler...everything hanging out bare. I just kept my mouth shut and left.

3 comments:

Jess said...

So, it's those people who also can't understand that when the power is out, cable is out as well. There's this Comcast commercial that runs during this time of year (hurricane season) that "reminds viewers" to not call Comcast to report/complain that their cable is out if they don't have power.

I always thought that was "duh" sort of issue, but I guess not.

Erin said...

When I worked at the hospital in the gift shop I saw plenty of hiney on old people. Something about modesty changes when you are in the hospital.

Thank goodness when I first went into labor and they made me walk the halls to move things along they gave me two gowns to cover front and back. Otherwise I would have told them I am putting my clothes back on.

Carol said...

Wow - she clearly needs someone to help take care of her - and drive her! And yes, I would DEFINITELY have been asking for my clothes or another gown in that situation!