Thursday, January 22, 2009

Whole lota shaken goen on!

When I put Rylee to sleep she likes me to sing to her. Now this is odd for many reasons. First, I just make up words that rhyme but make no sense. Second because I couldn't carry a tune if you put it in a basket. (Don't believe that...I was the only kid in choir who was asked to sing quieter!) Which means if my voice sooths her she must have a tin ear! So much for her being the next Miley Cyrus.



Shannon wants to get Rylee to go to sleep without rocking or using some form of motion. So far I have had no luck with that. I just keep changing the types of motion. I used to bounce her in the bounce seat. Then I strolled her in the stroller. Now I have been shaking her in the pack n play. I just can't get her to sleep without motion. I hope Shannon will have more luck. If not we could always build some form of shaking platform to put under her bed. Any of you got any ideas how to accomplish that? We could make a fortune if we figure it out...a lot of babies like motion. Keep in mind the motion needs to be a lot harder than the little bit of vibrating the pack n play does.

2 comments:

Erin said...

No tips here as we ixnayed the motionay when Miller was born.

We stuck to the theory that he would fall asleep when he was tired and that bed time was initiated by a bath, pjs, a story, and possibly a few minutes of rocking and then it was toss in the crib, turn up the music and run for the next room. Some times we do have to rock or hold more but in general, he goes down on his own.

Now that he's older, we put him in his crib around nap time with some toys and let him sit up and play until he crashes.

The cardinal rule was to put him down before he was truly sleeping. I am not sure how you ease into that routine now that you have established a different one. I would also ask the pediatrician for some tips.

Jess said...

Erin knows more than I do about this shiz. But yeah, the pediatrician may have some good tips for setting Rylee down before she's actually sleeping and allowing her to fall asleep on her own. Those drs sometimes know a thing or two.