Thursday, January 29, 2009

Liar Liar

The reason I didn't post anything yesterday is because --"in our family we celebrate birthdays for two days!" That is a direct quote from me when I was 16 that we have since made into the truth. Here is the story:

When I was a sophomore in high school I was in a play with a guy who was a friend ONLY, in my mind. He called me at home one night and the conversation went something like this:
Him: "Hi, I was wondering if you would want to go to a play in Aitkin with me?"
Me: Panic! "Ah hang on a sec my dad is calling me." Run to find dad and quick explain that NO WAY was I going with this guy but didn't want to hurt his feelings what story should I tell him?Dad's advice was, "well, absolutly don't lie! Just tell him the truth, that you only think of him as a friend and would rather keep your relationship at school."
"I can't say that...it is so lame." I run back to the phone and say, "My Dad didn't want anything important. So when is this play?"
Him: "It is next Friday night."
Me: " Ah darn, I sure would have liked to go but it's my Grandmother's birthday and we are having a party that night." At which point my Dad who is now standing by the phone, starts shaking his head!
Him: "Well, the play is on Saturday night too! Let's go Saturday."
Me: "Ah, Saturday huh?" At which point my Dad whispers, "I told you not to lie..."
Me: "Gee, I would but we celebrate my Grandmother's birthday for two days! Really, we do. I hope you understand."
Him: "I understand alright!" Click!

Ever since then, in an effort not to make me a liar, we try to celebrate all birthdays for two days! (Even our pets!)

The moral of the story is: The truth is always best. But if you slip and tell a lie, try to make it the truth.

2 comments:

Jess said...

Well, Angel's a lucky dog. We don't even know when Scooter's b-day is so he's never had a b-day celebration, one day or two!

Carol said...

I am all for the two day birthday celebration! Although this year I got a week long one with our vacation - so maybe that makes up for some years when I only got one day? :)