Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Delivery

I saw an elephant being born this weekend! Granted it was on the Animal Planet and not in person-but it was unbelievable! The mother elephant was in so much pain she had to drop to her knees a couple of times. She bellowed loudly, and having given birth myself, I knew what she was saying, "epidural now"!


I did watch my horse Lady give birth, it was unbelievable. I was only about 12 so I'm sure I didn't appreciate what she was going through but even then I knew I had witnessed something amazing. My Dad helped pull the foal out, then Lady got up and broke the sac and started to lick her new baby. She was so tired my Dad took towels and helped. She let him too which led me to believe she must have been really exhausted, usually she was very in dependant!!! (read ornery) The foal was so wobbly, and yet just like a real baby it went right for food! Lady really loved that baby and was very protective. After that night she hardly let us get near her foal, willingly at least. (But that's another story.)

So to all you mothers-to-be out there remember, no matter how bad it seems at the time...it's all worth it!

1 comment:

Carol said...

Sweet story! I wonder what labor is like to a whale? There are all those stories about women wanting to try water births to make it easier, I wonder if whales have it easier than elephants?