Sunday, January 4, 2009

Bad babysitters

One would think Rylee, who has seen me everyday (almost) since the day she was born, would be as comfortable with me as she is with her mommy and daddy--but alas not true! Last night so Jon and Shannon could go out for a few hours, Grandpa and gramma were sitting, here is how it played out:

A few minutes before they left Rylee started screamming, they hurried out. She never stopped! Wouldn't drink, sleep or quit crying. We shook, bounced, rocked, walked and finally I put her in the stroller and ran her around the house and for a brief 30 minutes she slept, woke up refreshed and continued the screaming.

Yes, I called for back-up, "are you done eating? Come home." Right as they pulled into the yard, Grandpa set her on the couch in front of him and she stopped screaming and smiled at me! In walk the parents who see a happy baby. (Just like calling the refrigerator repair man and the instant he walks in the door it starts working.) Anyway our nerves were fried...we headed home for a margarita night!

The thing is that even if she perfers her mom and dad that was not the only problem...something must have been bothering her but damn if she would let me try to figure it out. Poor little sweetheart, I guess last night, only mommy and daddy would do.

4 comments:

Jess said...

If only those babies could learn to talk a little earlier, lives would be much easier.

Jenny said...

Of course she was a happy baby when they came home. You wouldn't hand her over any other way! = )

Erin said...

Did you put her in the garage? Ryan always tells me he puts Miller in the garage when he's naughty. LOL!

Hopefully she settled down and felt better today. I wouldn't say you were a bad babysitter. You did all that you could for a little one. If they are clean, not hungry, and not sleeping...there's not much else you can do until they tell you what they want.

Carol said...

Poor Grandparents!!!

I am just getting caught up and I LOVE your ballsy stories!!! Good for you!!!