Saturday, September 29, 2007

Missing Mom

Today was the perfect MN fall day, a bit of chill in the air. So this morning I started a big kettle of boiled dinner. Which for those who aren’t familiar with that term, is ham, rutabagas, carrots, potatoes, cabbage & other veggies cooked slow all day in a broth. It sounds like a soup but it is not because all the vegetables are kept very large and chunky. It tastes really wonderful and I always thought it should have a better name than boiled dinner. But that is what my mom called it, and making it reminds me of her. Mine is good and is close to the way she made it but nothing could taste as good as hers. When ever she made a pot of it she would call and ask us to come to dinner. I would always drop everything to go. I don’t care what else I had planned.

That is one of the things I miss now that she is gone. One of the many small things that I miss so much—my heart just aches. Whoever may be reading this, if you still have your mother…pick up the phone and call her…just because you can.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

After all these years, I still have days when I really, really, really miss my mom too.

Making your boiled dinner is just one more way of keeping that wonderful connection with your mom.

Sounds like it's makings for scrumptious memories!

Hugs from Wisconsin!

Anonymous said...

Hi my MN Mom! From one of your Houston kids (now transplanted to New Orleans by way of Phoenix and Colorado!). I know what you mean. Why is it that we never have enough time to spend with the ones we love! I miss my friends (like you) who I can't see or visit with very often because of money and committments. Family and friends are so valuable! We need to appreciate them as much as possible!