Monday, March 9, 2009

Not Smart

Have you seen the Car Max commercial: where the guy sticks his tongue on the flag pole & it sticks there? (The commercial then says, "not smart--buying a car at Car Max-smart"--but I regress.)

Well anyway...back to my point. The not smart part...tongue and flagpole. I have been dumber than that! In grade school, some older kid told me to lick the door knob of the school. I didn't really think it was a good idea but after some pure-pressure, I did it. It stuck tight and I couldn't get it off. The principle had to come out and pour warm water on it so it would let go! It was horrible. It pulled all the taste buds off my tongue. I remember it was even kind of bloody and yet I never even got to go home for the day. I just got in trouble with the principal. I didn't get any sympathy, no nurses office, nothing. Kids were tough in the old days!

When I got home and told my mom about the incident. She asked why I did it. I told her so & so told me too. She didn't have any sympathy either, she said something to the effect of, "well now you know to think about the consequences before you blindly do what people tell you too! It was a good lesson for you to learn." (I think I did get ice cream after that at least.)

I must have learned my lesson because that may have been the last time I did anything I didn't want to do. It was not, however, the last time I did anything stupid. But at least after that all the dumb ideas were my own!

1 comment:

Jess said...

Reminds me of that scene in "A Christmas Story" when that kid gets his tongue stuck to the flagpole and all the kids leave him out there after recess has ended.