Thursday, April 30, 2009

Thank you

Thanks to all of you who helped celebrate my brithday. Thanks to my friends in FL who joined me for dinner, drinks and fun! Thanks for the lovely cards and gifts. Thank you Shannon for putting together my birthday book, which brought back so many great memories.

For those of you who don't know, Shannon put together thoughts and stories from my friends and family back home and across the country, complete with photos from my youth, for my 60th birthday...it is a treasure! And sorry, way too big to publish. But I wanted to say thank you to all of them, so here goes.

How do I go about telling you, my dear friends and family, what it was like to read my special 60th Birthday Book…Other than to say that you all made me CRY on my birthday! Well, ball like a baby would be more accurate. Most of the time I couldn’t see to read it.

I was wondering if you guys ever tried spinning straw into gold? If not you should, because spinning my bossy, sassy, over-exuberant, uncensored advice-giving attitude into such beautiful thoughts took some real spinning talent! And in this economy gold could come in handy. I won’t be needing any, however, because I am rich!

Rich in friends, I couldn’t ask for any better. You are always there for me in times of need. (And we all know I’ve had some times of need.) But through it all you have propped me up and believed in me. You have cried with me and made me laugh when I thought I might never laugh again. Others shared bottles and bottles of wine when forgetting was the only thing that worked. Over the years some of you shared your children and grandchildren when I needed that so much. With you in my life I am truly blessed. You have touched my heart and changed me for the better in ways you don’t even know. I don’t deserve you—but I thank God for you everyday!

Rich in family, why I have the greatest family in the entire world! I was blessed with the best parents a girl could ever have. They taught me to be independent, kind hearted & strong-willed. (They didn’t have to work too hard on the strong-willed part.) I was lucky enough to grow up in paradise. The resort was and will always be, better than Disneyland to me. I wouldn’t have changed a thing in my childhood. Even with three brothers teasing and torturing me daily. (Or was that me teasing and torturing them? Umm) But whatever, again I was blessed. I always used to want to trade one for a sister but now I never would. It’s nice having brothers to look after you. And I got my sisters after all, in my sister-in-laws on both sides. You all became dear sisters to me. As for my husband, well I don’t have to tell any of you I hit the jack-pot there! There is not another man on this or any other planet that would have put up with me for all these years! Not another one who would sacrifice for our family like he does everyday! Which brings me to my beautiful Shannon…it would take a lifetime to write about the joy you have brought me. So suffice to say, you are my best friend, my life. You make me want to be a better person. You inspire me. I am the luckiest mother on earth. And to bring it full circle you have given me Rylee. Every time I hold her in my arms and kiss her I thank the Lord and say what did I ever do to deserve this little bundle of joy? Every time she makes one of her silly faces or gets so mad she shakes, I say, Oh world, lookout here comes Rylee...I hope you are ready!

To all my family, extended family, in-laws (son in-law included-he is the best) and dear friends, I don’t know what I would do without all of you…but I never want to find out! I know that when I need you I just have to call. I think you know that goes both ways.

I used to complain about my birthdays and getting older. But Mom told me once, “be happy when you have a birthday—it means you’re above ground-the alternative is pushing up daises!” Good advice. And today it means even more than that to me. It means that I have had a lot of experiences these past 60 years that have led me here to a loving family & so many wonderful friends that feel like my family. I am truly the richest person on earth!!!

I love you all…Connie

(Hey Mom, I’m looking forward to 61…bring it on!)

1 comment:

Jess said...

Glad you had such a rewarding b-day!