Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Wheels on the Bus

All my life I had the same bus driver. His name was Dayton Humprey. He owned the bus company and drove our route until long after I left school. He was the nicest guy. A big teaser (like my dad) maybe that is why I liked him so much. Everyone did. He had a saying for all of us. Wish I could remember them all, but sadly no. Maybe someday I will try to find out if anyone else remembers theirs. I remember my cousins' whose name was Rod Ustipak. He'd say, "Rod Used-to-peck and now he bites!"

Which brings me to when I would get on the bus...he would always say the same thing, "Connie's a good girl--when she's sleeping!" And on his face was the biggest smile.

For better or worse it looks like Rylee has fallen into the same category as me.
She's a good girl--when she's sleeping!



This post is for you Daytes! You made me smile every morning I got on that bus. When I was a young adult starting out, you helped me out by renting me the place where I lived and started my business - Connie's Hair Hut. And the price was so cheap ($25 a month) - I know you only did it because you cared. You were a very special person to me. You made a positive impact on a lot of kids over the years. You are fondly remembered by so many!

4 comments:

Jess said...

That's nice. I never had one, consistent bus driver. Of course, I didn't live in the same town from K-12.

And the only clear memory of a bus driver I have is when I got suspended for fighting on the bus, and the bus driver had to pull me off the kid I was wailing on.

Jenny said...

I love your "looking back" posts. They always make me smile. = )

Erin said...

Lucille was my afternoon bus driver. She rocked!

My morning bus driver sucked. I can't remember her name but she was like a broken record; "Mornin'...Mornin'...Mornin'".

Carol said...

That is a lovely memory! Thanks for sharing!