Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Birthday Bash or Bomb?

I had this lovely dinner planned for six. For a special but quiet celebration for Shannon's birthday. Here is what happened.
One day earlier:
My friend's plane which should have been landing at 11:40 pm Sunday, didn't get in until 1:30 am Monday. We drove home tried to unwind a bit, went to bed at 2:45. I could not sleep...not a wink all night. Dog slept fine.
Monday:
I get out of bed at 6:00 am, work on birthday dinner and cake all day. (Thank goodness I did some of it ahead of time.) I was exhausted before the party started and in a bit of a deer in the headlights state.
Jon had B-ball...needed to eat early and light ( no beer) leave early for his game.
Dave had jury duty and got here at around 8:00 two hours after dinner.
Venessa had to unexpectedly clean out her garage to make room for her new room-mate's Harley...missed it all together.
Dave, Jan and I sang a very out of tune, Happy Birthday, to Shannon, cut the cake-ate fast and furiously.
I did dishes and kicked everyone out, including Shannon. Literally it was 8:30 and guests were gone and I went to bed.
Poor Dave I made him eat dinner and desert in 20 minutes! I'm sure he still has indigestion!
I jumped into bed at 8:30 with my "Better than sex cake"...stomach ache and fell promptly to sleep. But yes. I slept soundly until 6:00 am this morning. Life is good today. (Just one day too late.)

Sorry Shannon, it wasn't the birthday party I invisioned but I will make it up to you this weekend when Jon is camping. We will do something really fun! A mom and daughter day. (Hope the Coach purse helped make up for the Birthday Bomb.)

1 comment:

Carol said...

I am sure that everything was nice. And at least you all got to be together for the event which is wonderful!