Thursday, January 10, 2008

Dump-cook Bakes

Those of you who know me well know that I don't bake. (Well technically, I do but only when forced.) Here are the reasons: too many bowls, dishes and measuring messes; and I don't like using recipes. (However, I adore recipe books, go figure.) I like to dump-cook and I have always heard that when baking you need to be exact.
Wrong-O! Yesterday I was looking in my pantry and I had purchased several baking items for a Christmas dinner party but as our holiday got away from us, there they were staring at me. So I grabbed out a few different items, a cake mix, a can of pumpkin and a can of Sweetened condensed milk. I decided to try dumping no recipe allowed and let the chips fall where they may.
Yum-O! (I have been watching too much Rachael Ray.)
I have proven a myth buster...you don't need a recipe to bake. Try dumping you just might be the next Pillsbury Bake Off winner!
Shannon loved it & Dave thought it was delicious he called right after he ate it to tell me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I am impressed. I am too much of a coward when it comes to experimenting with food. I blame it on all my science classes - for experiements you have to follow carefullly scripted procedures so you can know what happened and how to make it happen (or not happen) again. While that works great for science, that translates into recipie world in cooking/baking. I wish I could be more creative. Luckily I have a very creative husband who is great in the kitchen.

Jess said...

Yeah, I've always thought of baking like chemistry -- if you have ratio wrong, it comes out poorly. I don't know if I have the guts to "dump" bake. Dump cooking is a whole other story...