Thursday, November 29, 2007

Of sound mind

Today I wrote up a very simple Last Will and Testament--as we are flying soon and I always get paranoid that we will die together & what a mess we would be leaving for Shannon. My goal was to get a real updated will but of course, once again, we never did get time...so I made a new one up. Our last one still had our daughter going to live with our best friends if we died. (I'm just taking a wild guess here that no matter how much she likes the Johnston's she probably wants to stay with her husband in the event of our death.) Anyway, my first sentance says that we are of sound mind. When my husband read it he chuckled..."that's a stretch!" I thought so too!

On a completely different note:
Did you ever wonder where did the slang word for water came from? Agwa…in what language does that say water? Well I wonder-does anyone know?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Warning, here comes the geek....yep, that's me...

I can help with part of your question (although I know you already know this part of the answer!) Our Agwa is a mutated form of agua, the Spanish word for water which comes from the Latin root aqua.

The part I can't help with is the part I know you want to know, mee too! I know what you mean, I often wonder about how certain words came about. Linguistics can be a fascinating topic.

What makes a person think the syllables aqua when they see water? I have no idea! We would have to ask an ancient Roman!

Have a safe trip! Everything will be fine!

MN Mom said...

Thanks Carol! I actually didn't know that! At least it makes more sence now. And I hope the safe trip part is true too!
Isn't keeping in touch fun?!

Agate Lake Girl said...

Maybe I won't live with the Johnston's but I still want to be "adopted" by them for holidays!