Wednesday, November 28, 2007

CANE

My husband and I started watching the new TV series Cane, with Jimmy Smits. (Whom we have loved ever since LA Law. Shannon calls Smits, Dad’s man-crush) The show quickly became a must watch…but already a few short weeks into it…they are going off in a direction I don’t like!
Quick synopsis: Smits’ plays a Cuban who was adopted into a Cuban family who is one of the largest Rum producers in the world and there live in Miami. They are a family who came to this country with nothing from Cuba and made it! Ironically Smits marries their daughter, a so good looking mother who has a son who looks older than her, go figure. Now the father is stepping down as CEO (father has cancer) and named Smits’ in his place. (Upsetting his two natural born sons for more added drama.) In the first few episodes Smits is a strong and of course handsome husband and father who protects his family at all costs. He finds out their nemeses in the Rum business had their younger sister killed years ago. The man who he hired to kill her is now hanging around his family and Smits has one of his men kill him. Now, I forgave him for that. He felt his family was in danger and was taking steps to save them by killing a very bad man. BUT, and this is a big but, now he has gotten in with some unsavory mob guys…and has had a couple more people threatened and beat up. Then several more guys got killed…Now I am thinking this show is going in a direction I don’t like. If I can’t like his character then I don’t want to watch. And he has gotten a few guys killed now along the way-not the type of thing I want to spend my evening watching.

Why does that happen so often with a series…they start out one way and you love them…then the writers turn on you and the show takes a whole new direction. The show you love goes to a show you don’t like and eventually don’t watch. Why can’t they leave well enough alone? What is wrong with happy, contented, moral, monogamous and so on. Why is doing the right thing boring to most of the watching public? Come on writers…Smits needs to be a good guy! I may stop watching if Alex Vega (Smits) doesn’t return from the dark side and soon. But my husband is going to continue…he doesn’t mind the violence as much as I do. His comment was, “It’s only a movie.”

2 comments:

Jess said...

Ah yes, Jerry can't like a book, movie or TV show if he doesn't like the main character.

I have never seen "Cane" but I heard about it on the news b/c I guess it's based on a real life family here in S FL.

Agate Lake Girl said...

I heard the ratings haven't been stellar so CBS might really take the show in a direction you won't like - as in off the air. Enjoy Smitts while it lasts!