Wednesday, November 21, 2007

It's a Wonderful Life

I watch the Fox news morning show with coffee everyday. The cast, Steve, Gretchen & Brian always banter and make me laugh. I think it is a good thing when you keep up on world news, which is so depressing, but you can still get a few good laughs. But today I was shocked and horrified! Gretchen admitted that she had never seen the movie, “It’s a wonderful life”! That spun my world off its axis. That anyone who lives in America and is over the age of five and hasn’t seen that movie…That would be like someone saying they had never seen, “Miracle on 34th ST.” or “Casablanca” There are some movies that are so great they change your lives.
One movie that was life changing for me was “Love Story”. I was a young teen who thought death was something reserved only for the very old; until I saw that show. When Ally McGraw dies I started crying and didn’t stop for days. (To this day I can’t watch it again.) After about the 2nd night of crying my dad sat down on my bed, he said, “You do realize it was just a movie, she is fine, nothing happened to her?”
I still remember my answer, “I know that but it happened to somebody for real. That is who I am crying for.”
I think that was the moment I knew life was scary—it was a crap shoot. I have been terrified of the safety of my loved ones ever since.
Thankfully most of the classic movies that mean so much to me and my family, do not have lessons that hard to learn.

2 comments:

Carol said...

I cry the same way at movies like that. My hubby likes to watch war movies (naturally given his job). I will watch with him, but he has to put up with my crying and crying because I know those things really happened! He is both puzzled by it and loves that I do that because I care so much.

Agate Lake Girl said...

The one that I refuse to watch again is "Boyz in the Hood." That movie broke my heart. :(