Monday, December 29, 2008

Playing Possum

I don't like anything nature related being around me. For example: the pigeons that took up residence in my neighbors awnings; the big white Crane-looking birds in Shannon's complex; those multi-colored ducks you see waddling around; the lizards who decide my garage isn't good enough housing and insist on moving inside; cock roaches (enough said); and now possums.
The long and the short of is that the other morning I saw a huge possum waddling past my deck door. I said, "John look," and we watched it go into the shrubs by my kitchen. Then we say a baby one walk by. I closed the drapes so the dog wouldn't start barking. (After John promised to go have a look later.) Then I heard something like the sound of something scratching on metal. We looked out and I thought they were trying to crawl in my air conditioning unit. (Like they crawled into Jon P. water softener cover.) Then I left with Shannon to take her friends to the boat. When I returned I saw our Bar-B-Q grill sitting in my driveway. Ah ha! That is when I knew that those creatures picked my place to throw a dinner party. They were planning a back yard grilling get-together in MY yard. What are the odds? Yep, John went out and looked around. Then looked in the grill, nothing. Then banged on it, nothing. Then opened the drip pan and the baby possum jumped out and waddled away. The pan was chucked full of old leaves, how did they get them in there? No mommy found. John has been feeling bad ever since wondering if the baby ever found his mommy. (I hope he did, but I am glad we foiled their party plans! And happy we hadn't decided to grill...they would have been dinner! Yuk!) The moral of the story is: I am not a nature lover.

**Update...for Mom2ET I forgot about "Vicks" thing, thanks for the reminder. I heard about it last year and tried it myself and it worked great. I told John to try it last night and there has been less coughing, but he slept downstairs sitting up in the big chair so I'm not sure how it worked. However, it sounds quite down there and I don't want to wake him if he's sleeping so I am blogging instead of going down to fix coffee.

4 comments:

mom2ET said...

I'm so glad that the Vick's trick may have worked.

This year has been especially vermin infested in Colorado to. Everyone has had at least 1 mouse. I don't think we have had any animals that were brazen enough to try to have a party at our house.

Erin said...

Possums are mean. They are fun to watch but I wouldn't feel bad about chasing him/her away. Remember, that possum will grow and be bigger than Angel. I don't think you want those two to run into each other. ;)

Carol said...

I always use Vicks on my chest at night and that seems to work pretty well both with calming coughs and with breathing! My hubby and I just got over having pretty bad colds at the same time, it is definitely miserable. I hope he feels better soon!

What adventures you have had with wildlife. YOu know, they say cats can sense when people don't like them and are allergic and so they deliberatly are drawn to you - maybe the wildlife around you can sense you don't like them???

Jess said...

I am terribly allergic to Vicks. My parents used it on me once when I was a kid and I broke out in hives. So I had a rash and was still sick.