Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Monkey Business

The other day driving home I saw a monkey in a tree! I was so excited I changed lanes and made a U-turn for a better look; as I sped past the first time. You know how Florida is I figured I’d be lucky if it was still there by the time I got back around. But I was so excited...as I approached I could still see it. I drove closer and slower and I could see it was...........Wait for it..................................................................................................
it was the bark from a palm tree! Damn! But honestly, it looked just like a monkey, long hairy tale and all. I swear it did.

Now go back in time to about 1959:
When I was about 10 years old my mom and dad took us to the Duluth Zoo and the zoo had spider monkeys. As I remember them they were small, furry and screamed a lot. Well, I promptly fell in love with them! (And in those days you could buy them.) I begged and begged until my dad disappeared and returned with a monkey. I remember I was so excited and wanted to take it out of the carton and play with it right away. To which my mom promptly said "no!" She pulled my dad aside telling him that the monkeys were wild and would bite! And it wouldn’t be fair to the monkey to lock it in a little cage, when here it had a big one with other monkeys and trees to swing from...well anyway she convinced him to give it back. And I was so mad (at her) and disappointed (at him) I cried all the way home.

Well, the long and the short of it is I guess I have always been looking for that cute little monkey; and I’ll keep checking out trees you just never know.

P.S.
Thanks Dad for trying to make your little girl happy; and thanks Mom for not letting him-you were right!

3 comments:

Jess said...

There have been 2 times that I thought I saw fairies. Each time, it turned out to be something ordinary. I guess we see what we want to see.

Jenny said...

I saw a woman walking through KMart with a monkey a few weeks ago. She walked past the line in the garden center and we all just looked at each other in shock!

Carol said...

That was really sweet of your Dad to do that for you!

Angel is adorable in the box!

How sad is it when you have to call the police because you see someone cleaning???