Wednesday, December 5, 2007

White or Colored part II

Who Knew?
Seems like quite the controversy, a few friends phoned me & others emailed, not sure if they wanted to comment online, so here are some further thoughts to consider.
I searched the internet and oh my goodness people have strong feelings on this matter, I had no idea.
First observation, hands down little kids seem to like the colored lights better. (So Erin better pick up a few strands after Xmas when they are on sale…you may have to switch.)
Second, generally, it’s the sophisticated types that go for the white lights…but I feel like it is a contradiction to feel the need for only white lights-because the multi ones are for trailer trash folk-(not my comment, someone on the internets, although I do feel I personally associate better with folk in a trailer park-a nice one-than those on snob hill) anyway back to my thought about the contradiction for the sophisticated white lighters…most of them put their white lights on a fake Christmas tree…Isn’t that an oxymoron?
Third, To Ryan’s comments on loving the big old fashion colored bulbs that are bound to start your tree aflame…you rock! My mother put those lights on her tree until the day she died--(I presume some of them were the original ones she bought in the 1940’s because if you touched them you got burned.) Ryan, you are in good company, she was a classy lady! Myself I can’t hang onto lights that long, I kind of toss them into a ball and they usually don’t work by the next year & I buy new because they are a tangled mess, but if I had taken better care of them I would use them! My Mother loved her hand-made decorations and big lights yet after she died we couldn’t find them; I figure she took them with her! (So watch for the big fire-ball glow of multi colored lights in the sky!)
Just to clarify, I love white lights too…I have them on my fake palm tree in my place in Florida and keep it lit all year! (Now that is Tacky with a capital T) I love the sparkle of white lights and use colored lights for the holiday tree & season only. Even un-sophisticated little me knows that much!
So basically what I figured out was this…EACH TO HIS OWN…Ain’t American Great!
Merry Christmas to all, and to all, a good (& brightly lit) night. HO HO HO

3 comments:

Agate Lake Girl said...

FYI: We're not supposed to say Ho, Ho, Ho anymore -it's offensive to women -and we're not supposed to depict Santa as fat. I'm sure lights are evil too - using up electricity and desrtoying the environment and all. Oh well, I like my Chrimmus un-politically correct!

Erin said...

Good points Connie. I do like colored lights but not on my tree (I have a red and white theme going). The little bugger can have colored lights, popcorn strands, homemade ornaments, and tinsel but not on my main tree until they are old enough to produce the goods at school :-) Please remind me of this next year when I cave and start a whole new tradition. I hear kids make you go crazy.

Jess said...

I missed the controversy previously, but: I am a fan of the white lights. They appeal to my sense of simplicity, and because the tree already has so much color (ornaments, etc) I think the white lights soften the whole effect. Plus, it's easier on my eyeballs (all that color can make my eyes feel "whack").

But I may also like the white lights because I like to go contrary to anything I grew up with. So, careful with your questions, there could be resonating physchological issues to deal with here.