Thursday, March 3, 2011

Happy 35th Birthday Shannon

Every year I say the same old things on your birthday...you are wonderful, so very special, such a joy, beautiful in every way...blah blah blah. Well it's all true!

But I thought I'd mix it up a little and tell a story about when you were Rylee's age.
We had put you in your big-girl bed and you fell fast asleep. We had company that night for dinner, Jim and Cindy. So when they went to leave we walked them downstairs. We lived in the same apartment in MN we do now. (I guess you can say we went full circle.) We left the upstairs door open to listen for you. Now your dad being a man...turned out the lights to save on the electric bill, I assume. I was already downstairs. We walked out to check out something in Jim's truck for a couple minutes. Then came back in. We could hear you crying! It turns out had woke up to go potty and were standing in the dark (pants still down) crying. You were so scared we left you that for the next two years everynight until you fell asleep you would say, over and over and over again, "are you there? Are you still there?" To this day I feel like a bad parent over that move! So take it to heart and don't wander off to far now that Rylee can get out of her bed!

Anyway, I can't believe it's been 30 some years since I've heard you ask..."are you still there?" But just in case you want to know...we are!

Can't wait until our Birthday Bash celebrations begin!
Happy 35th Birthday Dearest Daughter, Love Mom and Dad

2 comments:

Agate Lake Girl said...

Maybe it's a good thing you left me that night. You and Dad have done a good job of making it up to me over the years! :)

mnkcv ;lc;dc;;;;;//////////v G says Rylee

Jess said...

Happy b-day to Shannon!

It's always good to read those parenting fails of others; it's a comfort to those of us who are novices ;)